Distributions - was Re: [plug] Red Hat 7

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Tue Sep 26 14:54:53 WST 2000

On Tue, 26 Sep 2000, Bret Busby wrote:

> How can we get the CD's?

You're in Armadale, right?
Is Hilton too far away for you?
If not, contact Chris Crawford, and arrange a set through him.
(chris at bizzpro.com.au)

Or turn up to one of the meetings and arrange a set with myself, or
someone else, beforehand.

> Is there any problem, installing Debian using NFS, using a CD drive in a
> computer that is not running Debian?

Shouldn't be a problem.

I'd say it would be easier to just borrow an IDE CD-ROM from one of
your other systems though (if you have one)

> Also, how much hard disk space is needed?

What do you want to do with it? :)

The linux gateway servers I build tend to use 100-150MB
WASP's servers each have about 300MB installed
My workstation's 13GB drive is almost full :)
(Of which probably 1G or so in Debian packages, the rest is just my
assorted "crap")

> computer, from memory, it took about 800MB, apart from the swap
> partition. That was setting it up to be used as a development
> workstation.

I think you'll get change out of that 800MB with a "development
workstation" Debian install.

 - Matt