Distributions - was Re: [plug] Red Hat 7

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Tue Sep 26 15:05:38 WST 2000

Matt Kemner wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Sep 2000, Bret Busby wrote:
>
> > How can we get the CD's?
>
> You're in Armadale, right?
> Is Hilton too far away for you?
> If not, contact Chris Crawford, and arrange a set through him.
> (chris at bizzpro.com.au)

Anne works in Perth, during the daytime.

> Or turn up to one of the meetings and arrange a set with myself, or
> someone else, beforehand.
>
> > Is there any problem, installing Debian using NFS, using a CD drive in a
> > computer that is not running Debian?
>
> Shouldn't be a problem.
>
> I'd say it would be easier to just borrow an IDE CD-ROM from one of
> your other systems though (if you have one)

The problem is that, in a 486, the controller for the CD Drive, is
required to be a soundcard based one, I think; being a 486, it has VESA,
not PCI. The CD ROM controller is not part of the IDE controller card.
We got a soundcard, to try to operate the CD, but it doesn't work.

> > Also, how much hard disk space is needed?
>
> What do you want to do with it? :)

Find out what it's like to use :)

Probably, put some stuff on it, like GNOME, Netscape, gcc, g77, Anne
might want flex and bison ( I think that's the yacc one), etc.

--

Bret Busby

"So once you do know what the question actually is, you'll know what the
answer means."
 - Deep Thought, Chapter 28 of The Hichhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
 - Douglas Adams, 1988