Distributions - was Re: [plug] Red Hat 7

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Tue Sep 26 14:57:20 WST 2000

On Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 02:42:24PM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
[you may like to snip excess quoted text in future...]
> Okay, then, what we need to do now, is get the CD's. I should probably
> have asked a bit more about it, and, got a set, at the installfest. How
> can we get the CD's?

I imagine someone can burn you a set and bring them to the next
meeting for a nominal fee, or you can get them by mail order.

> Is there any problem, installing Debian using NFS, using a CD drive in a
> computer that is not running Debian?

No... NFS clients can, by and large, talk to NFS servers...

Were you expecting a problem?

> Also, how much hard disk space is needed? When we put RH 6.2 on my
> computer, from memory, it took about 800MB, apart from the swap
> partition. That was setting it up to be used as a development
> workstation.

Depends entirely on how much you install. You can get up and running
on a tenth of that, no worries. No need to preinstall everything, just
put things on as you need them.

Nick.

--
  Nick Bannon  | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick at it.net.au | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal