[plug] Debian

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Tue Sep 26 16:05:37 WST 2000

On Tue, 26 Sep 2000, James Bromberger wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 03:30:11PM +0800, Garry wrote:
> > There is 3 disks involved.
>
> Bzzzt. Potato install from floppy is around 10 disks, maybe even 11.

I think Garry meant to say Discs (as in the Compact variety) not Disks (as
in the floppy variety)

> It's three if you have the rest of the packages available on some other
> meida , like NFS, FTP, web site, CD ROM, or HDD.

My count is either 2 or 5.

You need at least 2 (rescue + root) if you can access the rest from
CD-ROM or HDD, or you have compiled your ethernet driver into the kernel
on the rescue floppy, otherwise you'll need at least 5
(rescue+root and the 3 driver disks) in order to get your ethernet card
going.

It's not as much of a chore as people make it out to be though.

 - Matt<fond memory of installing Slackware with 15 disks>