[plug] Databases

Dennis Plester dennisp at tiwest.com.au
Wed Sep 27 08:12:35 WST 2000

I can't say what is the best to use, but I have certainly had a lot of
success with mySQL. I have now shifted several different Access and Paradox
databases across without any significant hassles. I suspect the porting is
not the issue, simply pick the database that has the speed, file size,
reliability and transaction features that you require.

If sheer speed is your thing, it is hard to go past mySQL, especially since
the relaxation in licensing conditions.

If you need transactions and roll back, you may prefer to go to postgresql.
(Can be done in mySQL but it is still in development last time I checked)

Both are good systems, and the differences between them (at least in terms
of overall feature set) are getting blurrier with every release.

In terms of minimising the pain, exporting any large complicated database
requires care and attention, and will warrant careful cross checking if the
data is important. Do this by running identical queries on both databases
and ensure you get the same results. Access does not make it easy to dump an
entire database in one action, only table by table, which you then need to
import one at a time. Also, the data types on offer are rarely identical
between Access and the target system. mySQL has a wide range of field types,
some of which have a significant impact on the final data storage space
requirements and access speed. Some keen coders have written macros and
other utilities that will grab an Access database and reproduce it in mySQL
while choosing the best field types. Visit their web site for details, and
I'm sure the same would exist for postgresql too.

Sorry for the small novel, but I thought you might find my experiences
useful. Hope this helps.

Dennis.