[plug] mounting query

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Wed Sep 27 14:06:48 WST 2000

After having replaced RH 5.2 on my computer, with RH 6.2, and, not
having backed up /etc/fstab, I have tried to get my data partition
(FAT16) mounted.

My /etc/fstab file, after modifying, now reads:
/dev/hda6    /            ext2     defaults        1 1
/dev/cdrom   /mnt/cdrom   iso9660  noauto,owner,ro 0 0
/dev/fd0     /mnt/floppy  auto     noauto,owner    0 0
/dev/hda5    /mnt/data    msdos    defaults        0 0
/dev/hda7    swap         swap     defaults        0 0
none         /proc        proc     defaults        0 0
none         /dev/pts     devpts   gid=5,mode=620  0 0

The changes that I made to the file, are inserting the line for hda5,
which is the FAT16 partition, and moving that and the swap line to their
current positions, as I read (I think from the man pages) that the order
of the records in the file, is important, and the books that I have,
gave the proc line as the last line. The books do not include the last
line above, of which I am unsure. The file, before I modified it, as
above, was as it was created by the RH 6.2 installation.

On booting, in the output from the bootup, is the error message:
Mounting other file systems mount: mount point /mnt/data does not exist
<FAIL>

Can someone please tell me what is wrong, and, how to correct it?

In case anyone is wondering why I am using the most inefficient
filesystem type for the data, I have multiple booting; Win98, WinNT, and
Linux, and it is the only filesystem type, that can be read by all three
operating systems (as far as I know). This allows me to access the data,
regardless of the OS that I am using (provided that I can mount the
partition).

Thanks in anticipation.

--

Bret Busby

"So once you do know what the question actually is, you'll know what the
answer means."
 - Deep Thought, Chapter 28 of The Hichhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
 - Douglas Adams, 1988