netscape - was Re: [plug] wine, netscape

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Fri Sep 29 12:21:03 WST 2000

Matt Kemner wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Sep 2000, Bret Busby wrote:
>
> > And, go back to 4.08? That was the version used on RH5.2.
> >
> > Does that run on RH6.2? It was previously run on RH 5.2, which had the
> > 2.0.35 kernel (I think), whereas RH 6.2 has the 2.2.something kernel
>
> The kernel version is not so important, it's the libc version
> but most glibc2.0 programs will work with glibc2.1, but it's the opposite
> that is not true.
>
> I'm still running the same version of Netscape I was running when I had
> glibc2.0.
>
> If the version of Netscape you have requires libc5, you will need to
> install the libc5 compatibility library. (There IS one supplied with RH6.2
> isn't there?)
>
> anyway.. TRY it and see. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work.
> If it works, you've gained something.
>
>  - Matt

Well, I just booted up RH 6.2, and tried to run netscape (4.75), to try
to download 4.08. But, when I tried to run Netscape, it caused a
destructive system crash, causing the system to reboot, as soon as I
clicked on the Netscape icon in the toolbar. When RH was rebooting,
during the fsck, heaps of messages appeared, with "setting filetype to 6
on .." many files in various locations. When it had completed, and,
booted, I logged in, and ran X-windows (as me, user, not root). When
X-windows ran, the two jobs that automatically load, on starting
X-windows, the gnome help browser, and the file manager thing, with my
home directory displayed, while having the windows appear on the screen,
did not appear in the taskbar at the bottom of the screen. The home
directory window, showed core as a piston, rather than the yellow smiley
bomb, which is as it usually shows it.

Maybe netscape just doesn't like me, or my computer. Or, maybe, it's got
something nasty in it, that I don't yet know about.

The only way that I can get 4.08 downloaded, is to save it to an OS
partition, as I don't have the room in my data partition. As Netscape on
Linux appears to have become malevolent, and may have done some damage
to the Linux installation, it appears that I now have to reinstall
Linux. (And, no, Matt, I can't do it with Debian, in this instance - I
have some stuff that has to be done using RH, urgently, for school).

--

Bret Busby

"So once you do know what the question actually is, you'll know what the
answer means."
 - Deep Thought, Chapter 28 of The Hichhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
 - Douglas Adams, 1988