[plug] Re: netscape

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Fri Sep 29 14:16:24 WST 2000

Kai wrote:

> 4.72 and 4.73 have probs with the address book in messenger, try to send to
> more than one person and it crashes, for me at least..other than that I have
> no problems with it.
> I'll admit, I am no expert at Linux, I've only been using it for 3 years and
> I don't know much, if any programming.

I also am no Linux expert.

I am using Netscape 4.74 on Win98. I have been able to broadcast
messages without any problems, using multiple addresses, from the
address book, with this version. I downloaded and installed it in July,
I believe.

I don't know whether the problem that you describe, may have disappeared
with 4.74, or, whether it is a problem, that is inherent in the Linux
version.

The Preference options are different, between the Win98 and the Linux
versions, with the Linux versions lacking some of the options that are
present in the Windows versions.

This makes me think that there may be bugs that are particular to the
Linux versions, such as the problems that you described.

The only problem that I have encountered (apart from crashing often),
across the three operating systems, and, across the different version
numbers, is the loss of the ability to file read messages from the
Inbox. I don't know whether that is a matter of the volume of emails,
or, whether it is something else. I have advised Netscape (also, of the
problem regarding  the latest Linux versions of Netscape not finding the
Inbox); it is a matter of waiting for a response.

Have you advised Netscape of the problems that you have encountered? It
may be worthwhile.

--

Bret Busby

"So once you do know what the question actually is, you'll know what the
answer means."
 - Deep Thought, Chapter 28 of The Hichhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
 - Douglas Adams, 1988