Gratuitous acrimonious bickering - was Re: [plug] Acronyms and obscurity

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Sat Sep 30 10:11:11 WST 2000

On Fri, Sep 29, 2000 at 05:50:08PM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> > > Hard luck for anyone with a genuine interest in Linux, that comes to the
> > > mailing list for help.

Yeah.  One look at you and they'll be gone.

> I would think that anyone who is not primarily interested in the
> mindless bickering, would be inclined to stay away from it, apart from
> the victim, who has been trying to end the bickering..

The victim?  That's you, of course, isn't it?  It seems all you ever do
is try to end bickering...  Please.

> If you think that this is all a matter of "lets attack Bret, all those
> against him on this side of the line, and all those against him on that
> side of the line", and, your obvious attempt at point scoring, that is
> unfortunate.

Point scoring?  Lines?  You think this is some organised campaign
against you?  It isn't.  But one thing I have noticed, wherever I go, is
that people who know you just cannot stand you and, while this is not a
popularity contest, it is something that unites people against you.  But
trust me, it's not organised -- your actions galvanize the action
against you entirely by themselves.

> This mailing list was once related to Linux, and to helping people with
> Linux queries.

Yeah.  Then you turned up.

This current thread is a case in point.  I suggested you not use an
old version of Netscape due to a security problem and gave my own
experiences on how to get it working well.  It was you who took us down
the track that was unrelated to Linux instead of taking the time to look
the acronym up yourself.  Of course, in your mind, this is all some
organised campaign against you and you're the innocent victim.  Sure.

> It is unfortunate that it has lost its way, to be taken over by people
> more interested in hostile campaigns.

Absolutely.  As above.

> Hopefully, matters relating to Linux, will, sometime, again be present
> on the list, without the mindless bickering.

Yeah.  Maybe you'll unsubscribe.