[plug]

adrian_blockley at dingoblue.net.au adrian_blockley at dingoblue.net.au
Sat Sep 30 20:55:00 WST 2000

G'day Scott,

Pico is the editor that comes with the mail reader pine. If you don't
have Pine installed then you won't have Pico.  Two common editors that
seem to come with most flavors of Unix are vi and Emacs.  For quick
editing jobs I still use vi but it has a fairly obscure syntax and can
be difficult to use for the beginner.  Once you do get used to it
though some people get quite addicted to it.  Emacs is very large and
can do some amazing things - I find it a little cumbersome for quick
edits but great for programming.

If you've got X up and running then my favorite is nedit which is
easy to use and has some great features.  I would be surprised if there
was not a nedit package for Debian.

If you are not running X then vi and emacs will most likely be on your
system.  As for syntax... once your in emacs you can get a tutorial by
entering C-h t (control-h t).

Good luck.

Adrian

On 30 Sep, Scott Campbell wrote:
> G'Day,
>
> firstly i want to say what a huge success the inatallfest was!!! I went
> there with no clue about linux, and left with half a clue :)
>
> but, one thing i did not quite understand, on alot of documentation and
> sorts, its said edit this file and enter this into it, and delete that line
> and so on ....
>
> but how do you actually edit the file, what is the name of a text editior?
> and some basic commands?
>
> I have tried a bit, but all i have learnt is that pico is not installed :((
>
> I am running debian ...
>
> Thanks ...
>
> Scott C

Adrian  Blockley