[plug] [ot] Fastest Socket 7 ?

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Mon Apr 2 00:10:45 WST 2001

On Sun, 1 Apr 2001, Mike wrote:

> Tah - is there a web reference for what cpu combos went on which
> socket ?
Hi Mike

Probably your best bet would be to see if your mainboard manufacturer has
a website, and check to see if they have any info on your model.  That
should give you a good indication of what your board will support.

Alternatively most boards have tables on them showing what bus
speeds/multipliers you can select with the jumpers. You can use that to
work out what the max CPU speed you can run on it.  The website often
lists more combinations though - eg my board only shows settings for up to
(I think) a 5x multiplier, but the website showed how to do 8x, allowing
me to run at 800MHz.

btw if your board doesn't do 100MHz you are not likely to be able to run
the K6-2 CPUs, but you should be able to fit on a K6-200 (for example)
providing the board will do a 3x multiplier. (3x66)

It is not a good idea to run the board at 75MHz, or in fact any multiplier
other than the "standard" 50/60/100/133/200 - because otherwise you end up
running the PCI bus at an odd speed which many devices don't like.
(Though I'm sure the resident overclockers are about to tell me they
disagree :)

 - Matt