[plug] Good config for low-end pentium (was Free CD linux - any good ?)

The Thought Assassin assassin at live.wasp.net.au
Sun Apr 1 11:04:27 WST 2001

On Fri, 30 Mar 2001, Bruce Fountain wrote:
> But seriously, what do people recommend for a P60 with 32MB RAM
> and a 1G SCSI hard disk? I am currently running RH5.1. I have
> been holding off upgrading because I couldn't think of any good
> reason to do so, but it looks like I will be doing some work from
> home and this means I need an up-to-date development environment.

Is there a reason you can't just upgrade the packages you need to be
up-to-date and keep the rest of your system as-is?

> I would really like to try out KDE but I don't know whether it
> would be usable on a low end system.

Usable, but not fast, so you have to be sure you'll get something out of
that extra bulk. Most people don't, in my experience.

> I could just run fvwm2 (as I have been up until now) but I would like to
> play around with some GUI development and I guess that means QT.

Not really. There are a lot of UI toolkits out there, and each of them
probably has a reason for being preferred to QT in some niche situation.
No doubt the list can give you an idea of which toolkits to look at if you
describe the particulars of your situation.

Regardless, QT is in no way dependent on KDE though KDE does depend on QT.
If your app needs KDE integration, (and it certainly doesn't sound that
way) then you will want to install KDE for testing. Otherwise, QT is fine
on it's own.

-Greg Mildenhall