[plug] patching rh7 kernel to 2.2.18

Gavin Corfield gavin at twobluedots.com.au
Mon Apr 2 18:06:27 WST 2001

Matt Kemner wrote:

> Hi Aunty
>
> On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, Aunty Jack wrote:
>
> > Thanks for that. will the lack of the redhat patches cause me grief in
> > my otherwise rh setup? What sort of patches do the add anyhow ???

If you download the SRPM for the kernel then the SOURCES directory will
contain all patches that are applied by "rpm'ing" the source to give you
the kernel rpm as distributed. (huge download though)

On the subject of SRPM's is it possible to get rpm to compile just the
kernel you want instead of every possible variation?  A kernel compile
which from the generic source takes me 10 minutes took over an hour.

Also, does debian follow the linux kernel development tree instead of
applying patches and modules at will like the rh kernel.

gavin