[plug] httptunnel in 'doze (OT?)

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Mon Apr 2 22:55:32 WST 2001

List,

I'm exploring the possibilities of httptunnel and as useful as it seems it
would be brilliant if there was a Windows 9x version of the client. I
gather that I can build it under Cygwin to make a statically linked .exe
so if I'm elsewhere on a 'doze machine I can just download the one file
and use the httptunnel client. I've yet to dabble with Cygwin and don't
like the outlook of having to download megabytes of GNU tools to compile
httptunnel under Win9x.

Surely somebody has done this previously? Scouring the web almost to death
leads to me believe that nobody has, people complaining that the supplied
executables GPF or otherwise crash, I presume because they're the NT
binaries from the official website - I tried that too. Does anybody who's
used httptunnel have any experience building or found the client for
Windows 9x? I don't mind compiling it manually, I just don't like the
propect of Cygwin's installer wanting to download 10's of MBs of packages.

In my searches, if anybody is interested, on slashdot was an article about
an RFC 3093 published for TCP/IP over HTTP for firewalls (and also a lot
of people thinking it's an April Fools joke), but could find no reference
to any programs that have yet implemented the standard. But I'm sure it
will become useful once it's widely adopted.

But anyway, it's still a Linux server on the other end so I'm hoping the
question isn't too OT here :)

Thanks in advance,

Bernard.

--