[plug] Pal Talk

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Tue Apr 3 00:08:26 WST 2001

On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, Squirrel wrote:

> I have checked the PalTalk site on firewalls and it says i must make
> available the following ports I have not done this (nor do I know how to)
> but as I said before my only problem it talking to clients that are on the
> same network (i.e local)

As I said, if they are on the same network then changing firewall rules on
the linux box is not going to make a lick of difference, because it should
not be getting between the 2 machines.  If it IS in between (ie you have 2
network cards on the linux box and you have one windows box on each card
and are using the linux box to forward from one to the other) then it
could be interfering, and you need to provide more details on your current
firewall setup before we can tell you how to open ports in it.

Can you ping one windows box from the other?

What happens if you switch the linux box off (or unplug it from the
network) - can you still ping one windows box from the other?

 - Matt