[plug] Mandrake7.2/XConfigurator

David Griffiths griffith at environ.wa.gov.au
Tue Apr 3 16:29:46 WST 2001

Hi Bruce,

>Got it installed, and it boots okay, but it hung on the
>last step where it configures X. So now I have a working
>system but no GUI. I tried running XConfigurator manually
>but it just throws up the initial banner, hangs for a few
>seconds, and exits.
>
>Any suggestions? It doesn't give me any sort of error
>message.

Have you got your old config file from 5.2? Might be worth a try.

Also you could try the older xf86config if it ships with Mandrake. A third
one to try is XF86Setup (in it's own rpm on Red Hat) but it's X based so
not much use to you until you get basic X up and running.

>Could I be missing something that XConfigurator
>depends on? I did cut things down fairly ruthlessly with
>a custom install. I have an old Diamond Stealth. It was
>working okay with RH5.1.

Dependency checking on install _should_ have picked up any missing packages
but the rpm dependencies aren't 100% reliable. If you want you can work
backwards and verify the dependencies manually with
      rpm -q --requires Xconfigurator
but that won't catch dependencies missing from the rpm.

I noticed that this lists mouseconfig as a dependency on my RH system. Am
wondering if Xconfigurator is sensitive to the mouse being configured
correctly and you possibly have a mouse config problem (ie does the block
cursor move around when you move the mouse)?

cheers,

Dave.