[plug] Agenda VR3 handheld

Simon Scott simon.scott at flexiplan.com
Wed Apr 4 10:26:29 WST 2001

	>You must bring it to a meeting!

	I should, depends how soon it gets here really :)

	>I hope they will license Graffiti, or something else that actually
works.

	Nah, graffiti is proprietary... they are using Xscribble i think

	>The PDA runs X!? Are they insane?  Can you run the X-protocol
acroos your
	>LAN? ie to display PDA apps on desktop and vice versa?
	>It'd make development easier.

	Yeh, it runs a scaled down FB version of X. I thought the same
thing, and read up on it... it seems that its a little unfair to say that X
is huge, since the largish memory footprint is caused by a chunk of graphics
memory that X maps within itself.....

	or something

	I spose you could run X apps over the lan, but remember that the
screen is TINY

	Actually, someone has already hack VNCViewer to work.....

	>I suppose the standard Xlib manual, published by Oreilly, is good.
	>Its "Volume 1: Xlib Programming Manual" - thats vol 1 of the
standard X
	>manual set.  Volume 2 is the reference manual, ie the man pages you
	>already have.

	>http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/v1/

	Thanks.... have you done any xlib??? From what I could make from the
source to 'Aliens', the API basically allows you to open a window and treat
it like a canvas, where you copy raw graphics data around.....

	> There must be plenty of electronic versions floating about, if you
	>prefer.

	>Try this:
	>http://www.rzg.mpg.de/rzg/batch/NEC/sx4a_doc/g1ae02e/cover.html

	I normally prefer paper, but that stems from a hatred of trees :)

	>There is an "embedded GTK" I think.

	Yeh, and GTKFB, a framebuffer version (ie it doesnt need X to run)

	>You might find some old X-lib based games to port.

	Yup, problem is tho that the PDAs screen is tiny in comparison so to
shrink stuff down you might as well write your own game engine...

	<lots of junk snipped>

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com