[plug] Record Keeping System

Simon.Scott at flexiplan.com Simon.Scott at flexiplan.com
Wed Apr 4 13:52:55 WST 2001

Sorry, a few points I missed

     1) Changes to objects will be recorded in a time/date stamped
'transaction'. Therefore the state of any attribute can be determined at any
point in time (eg How many cdroms did I have last week?). To avoid consistantly
causing 10x more work than is necessary (ie summarising all transactions to gain
the current value of an attribute) you can baseline objects, causing the value
at that time to become the new basis for calculating the attribute value (for
times after the baseline). Hope this makes sense.
     2) When I said 'objects will have relationships with a tree-type
structure', I meant that in most situations I have applied to this theory it has
held true. For example, in superannuation, a broker dealer has multiple
offices... each office has multiple advisers.... each adviser has multiple
clients... each client holds multiple assets... etc etc etc. I guess that there
are situations where this structure would become unnecessary.
     3) So, let me boil it down (I tend to ramble)

          a) Database has object/attribute/relationship tables, and low level
routines to create/delete/modify these objects/attributes/relationships eg,
CREATE_OBJECT(), DELETE_OBJECT() etc
          b) Middle layer (this language I want to write) allows implementation
of routines to satisfy some business rule, in easier syntax. The language itself
will call the low level routines that affect the database. eg in the language
the command SET_ATTRIBUTE might accept ATTRIBUTE_NAME and VALUE and in turn will
call the low-level routines to accomplish this.
          c) Top-layer (the satellite systems) will provide data in some format
(most likely XML) and will call routines implemented in my new language,

Im getting bogged down again, but I hope you can see what Im trying to achieve.

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com