[plug] sound mixer

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Wed Apr 4 18:33:56 WST 2001

On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, madgino wrote:
> I got a little problem, I'm sure its not a hard one. Anyways the problem
> is that i would like to use the sound mixer or volume control in xmms to
> adjust the sound level. But it dont work. Im running debian with my
> sound card compiled into the kernel. The card is a sb live and im
> running 2.2.18.

Is any application able to control the volume level? Does xmix work? Does
xmix or xmms work the volume if you're running as root? Do the files
/dev/dsp, /dev/audio, /dev/mixer, (and maybe others)  have adequate
permissions (rw) for the user running xmms?

Spurious thoughts,

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham