[plug] OT: ADSL and modems

Brian Tombleson brian at paradigmit.com.au
Fri Apr 6 11:53:41 WST 2001

All the guff and technical descriptions of ADSL say that yes, you can do
what your normal telephone line does as well as concurrently using the ADSL
feature.

However, I believe there are a few proviso's in this.  Advanced telephone
features may not work (like call-waiting and other things that send 'noise'
down the line on different bandwidths to normal voice) and I think/suspect
that if your line is already split in the street (same physical line shared
with neighbours) it may cause problems too.

A standard analogue modem on a standard telehone line uses the same
frequencies used for a standard voice telephone call (as does fax), so it
should be fine.

All that said, I don't have ADSL (yet!) and don't know anyone who's tried
it.

- Brian.