[plug] Can of Tuna

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Sat Apr 7 19:44:14 WST 2001

On Sat, 7 Apr 2001, hooli wrote:

> Take it as you may, but the West Australian's Technical Article Journalist
> N.M annoys the crap out of me...

Nick is a journalist, not an engineer, and part of his job is to fill in
the gaps between the classified ads. I suspect given time and budget
constraints, he just grabs one of the freebies from his mail tray, and
paraphrases the press release. His boss probably wont pay for a consultant
to check the technical accuracy.

> Take N.M's article in today's (Saturday) West Australian about the Lexmark
> printers for example.

  If you send a polite e-mail, explaining that Linux has long had broader
printer support than WindowsNT, he might even print it next week.

   I take it the Lexmark thing is about those evil win-printers?
Actually they are not that evil. My Brother laser does HP-PCL, but I use
it in dumb win-mode, sending a compressed bit map of the page from
ghostscript. The "driver" in ghostscript is a very simple piece of code,
which just compresses and formats the page bitmap in the correct way.

Do other win-printers work in the same way?

--
Mike Holland  <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>
                          --==--