[plug] Can of Tuna

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Sat Apr 7 20:07:06 WST 2001

On Sat, Apr 07, 2001 at 07:44:14PM +0800, Mike Holland wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Apr 2001, hooli wrote:
>
> > Take it as you may, but the West Australian's Technical Article Journalist
> > N.M annoys the crap out of me...
>
> Nick is a journalist, not an engineer, and part of his job is to fill in
> the gaps between the classified ads. I suspect given time and budget
> constraints, he just grabs one of the freebies from his mail tray, and
> paraphrases the press release. His boss probably wont pay for a consultant
> to check the technical accuracy.

I don't think time and budget constraints excuse shoddiness.  As far as
I'm aware, being a journalist doesn't merely involve paraphrasing press
releases.  Checking facts, doing research and critically considering the
alternatives are all part of the job.  That's what readers typically
expect and they will generally view what they read in that sort of
light.  If that's not what they're getting then some might say they are
being somewhat deceived.

--
DSA 0x0EC1D28C: BBCB 0D79 4EBB 078A A066  7267 8BED E9D6 0EC1 D28C