[plug] upgrade info

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Sun Apr 8 10:49:18 WST 2001

On Mon, 9 Apr 2001, Jon  Miller wrote:

> Just wondering if anyone has upgraded a rh5.2 to rh7.0 system if so did you go from 5.2 to 6.1/2 to 7.0 or from 5.2 straight to 7.0?  Were there any gotchas?

RedHat 6 (and 7) are substantially different from version 5 (major difference
in libc and the kernel IIRC).  I recall the upgrade from 5.1->6.2 went smothly
with the only problems being config files cahngeing location (which broke some
of my scripts).

Version 7.0 is again VERY differnt from 6.2 several common utilities have been
dropped ie inetd has been replaced with xinitd which does have lots of good
features BUT is quit different to configure.

On the up side it does have sasl ?? support for sendmail making AUTH SMTP very
easy to configure (if you need it)

If the machine is a router (Internet Gateway) you'll need to set the
ip_forward variable in /etc/sysctl.conf NOT /etc/sysconfig/network

In my opinion RedHat 6.2 is still the better option for a server and 7.0
for workstations.  X 4.0.1 shouldn't really be being used on a server
the much touted k2.4 readiness in 7.0 is little more than upgradeing a few
RPMS (modutils, ppp, nfs etc etc) all of which can be easily done for 6.2 if
you NEED (or want) k2.4 on that machine.

anyway HTH

Yours Tony.

/*
 * --Albert Einstein