[plug] WANEWS Challenge (was re: Lexmark Printers)

Darrell Horrocks darrellh at kpbg.wa.gov.au
Mon Apr 9 11:24:53 WST 2001

Hi All

I think that this is quite a good idea, one that in particular should go on the
PLUG website, beginning a newbies guide to the weaning off windows.

On this note, I think that we should be aiming at the two factors, one of
compatibility with the windows app, and the second on ease of use and install.

Simon's list looks pretty reasonable, but let's keep the apps GUI.  Anything CLI
based and you scare the typical windows user.

I'll try and compile a "best of" list, and HTMLise it.

Keep those ideas coming!

The other question is, what can Linux do (pretty, GUI and newbie friendly) that
windows can't.  My suggestion is CD-burning as that is on his list.  Who was it
that said that they can burn a CD while still using Linux?  I'd like to see
Windows do THAT! ;-)

And as far as email clients etc., who has used Opera under Linux?  I haven't had
a chance to install it yet.  This would probably get around the
IE/Netscape/Email issues in the challenge list.

Regards

Darrell

Simon Scott wrote:
<SNIP>

>         a) Word - Abiword, KWord, Staroffice
>         b) He uses Eudora? Sad indeed. One of the 48 milltion email clients,
> text or window based.
>         c) Netscape... or one of the 48 million nntp clients available ,
> text or window based.
>         d) gnapster.... or one of the 48 million napster clones, text or
> window based. I use gnapster
>         e) I use XCDRoast... there are lots of others... Unless you are
> copying playstation games there is no loss of functionality.
>         f) Geez, this guy's trying hard! What's the name of that
> professional (free) video editing suite?
>         g) errr, 'Quicktime' is a program under windows? ugh, this makes me
> more ill than his articles. Does xanim or similar handle quicktime? Does
> anyone care?
>         h) Dunno much about games, however I have Quake III Arena and Unreal
> Tournament running on my box at home. Im sure the others have been LOKI-fied
> at some point. Caveat - 3D is very young under linux, mostly due to hardware
> manufacturers sitting on their hands. However, once set up, it is rock solid
> opengl with performance (on most recent cards) close to windows.  This
> should probably be seen as Linux's biggest weak point.

<SNIP>
Here's the challenge list.