[plug] Re: Video editing

Grant Malcolm gmalcolm at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Mon Apr 9 17:29:06 WST 2001

Hi Christian and Nick

On Mon, 9 Apr 2001, Christian wrote:
> > - Ulead Media Studio Pro - video capture, professional edit with plenty of
> > transitions, can handle DV, MPEG-1 and -2, MJPEG, AVI etc.
>
> It's incredibly ironic that you've included this in your list.

ditto much of the drama you've described, Christian

Having captured and edited DV on an iMac and Windows, the latter was an
excruciating experience! Hardly one that i feel belongs in the home user
category that Nick describes and probably beyond the grasp of many
hobbyists.

Maybe we can cry "foul" on this category for those reasons?

> haven't got around to trying it myself but the latest kernel supports
> IEEE 1394 and there seems to be plenty of software out there to do video
> editing under Linux too.  Programs like Coriander, dvgrab, Kino and
> Broadcast 2000 all seem to have this functionality.  Although he's never
> been interested in Linux before, my dad has actually been quite
> interested in me setting up Linux on his machine so he can actually do
> some useful work with it.  I'll be happy to let you know how successful
> this turns out.

Another good reason to cry "foul" may be we might lose on this category.

:-)

I've had a pretty serious go at getting video capture and editing up and
running under Linux. I believe it was more difficult to set up than on the
PC and i never did resolve some performance issues. I'll be interested to
hear how you get on.

Cheers
Grant

CONNECT with your LOCAL THEATRE