[plug] Can of Tuna

skribe skribe at amber.com.au
Mon Apr 9 17:46:27 WST 2001

On Mon,  9 Apr 2001 17:02, Christian wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 09, 2001 at 09:58:53AM +0800, Nick Miller wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > A couple of people have written to challenge me on the issue of Linux
> > software, along the general lines of 'Anything Windows can do, Linux can
> > do'.
>
> You missed out 'better'. ;-)

Hear hear.

To Nick:

A workstation install of Mandrake 7.2 + all the security updates + kde 2.1
should start you off.
I'd add staroffice and gnapster (better than napster IMO).
There's supposedly a great non-linear video editing suite for linux.  I can't
remember its name unfortunately.  Check freshmeat and sourceforge.
Quicktime is a problem because of Sorenson codec (the one that most people
use) is proprietary and they won't port it (yet).  Most other formats though
are covered.
Games are also a problem.  If they mean so much to you, dual boot.  Although,
you'll likely discover that you'll use windows less and less =).
If all else fails you can try win4lin, vmware and wine.

Cheers,

skribe
--
Public key information available at:
http://www.amber.com.au/~skribe/publickey.html

Check me if I'm wrong, Sandy, but if I kill all the golfers...
they're gonna lock me up and throw away the key!