[plug] OT: 10/100 hubs

Kevin Shackleton kevins at wn.com.au
Tue Apr 10 21:20:36 WST 2001

Brian Tombleson wrote:

> I'll have a crack at this one for you, Russell.  Someone feel free to
> correct me if I'm wrong :)
>
> If you want 'Auto-sensing' on seperate ports, you will probably need to get
> a 'switch' or 'managed huib'... or one of several other terms that are
> floating around for them.

Just to be picky - a managed hub is one with some form of management -
usually SNMP.  This lets you pick up stats, remotely turn off individual
ports etc.  Most people don't want to spend the extra heaps more money
for managed hubs, though offices with remote sites do so they can pick
up network faults.  Managed hubs are often (usually?) stackable, which
means you can join up multiple hubs as one logical hub for the purposes
of working out maximum LAN size (timing issues).  Unmanaged hubs are not
stackable (in practice, I don't think there's anything preventing one
being made).

K.