[plug] OT: 10/100 hubs

Brian Tombleson brian at paradigmit.com.au
Tue Apr 10 22:17:42 WST 2001

> > If you want 'Auto-sensing' on seperate ports, you will probably need to
get
> > a 'switch' or 'managed huib'... or one of several other terms that are
> > floating around for them.
> >
> Just to be picky - a managed hub is one with some form of management -
> usually SNMP.  This lets you pick up stats, remotely turn off individual
> ports etc.  Most people don't want to spend the extra heaps more money
> for managed hubs, though offices with remote sites do so they can pick
> up network faults.  Managed hubs are often (usually?) stackable, which
> means you can join up multiple hubs as one logical hub for the purposes
> of working out maximum LAN size (timing issues).  Unmanaged hubs are not
> stackable (in practice, I don't think there's anything preventing one
> being made).

Yep, I agree with the distinction, but 95% of retailers either won't know
the difference or interchange terms as they feel like it. That's why I said
"several other terms" as there are more and it doesn't make any great
difference for most people.  The major difference is between the basic hub
and a basic switch.

- Brian