[plug] Changing X drivers?

Andrew Furey simpware at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 10 22:01:49 WST 2001

Ok, simple question, but that subject wasn't overly
helpful, so...

I changed my "driver" line in /etc/X11/XF86Config
(RH6.2) from   "svga"  to  "s3_generic"  (for a S3
Trio 3D/2X).

Now, when I run X as root, it's fine, but if I do it
as a normal user (including, it seems, runlevel 5), it
comes back with:

[snip standard stuff]

Config Error: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config:364

    Driver      "s3_generic"
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^
Not a recognized driver name

(/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config is symlinked to
/etc/X11/XF86Config)

Is there somewhere else that the driver is defined?
The permissions on things like /usr/X11R6/bin/XF_* all
seem normal (755).

Anyone seen this before?

TIA
Andrew

=====
In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?