[plug] OT: 10/100 hubs

Bill Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Wed Apr 11 06:39:04 WST 2001

Interesting - at home (10m coax) I get just under 1Mbps using ncftp to
measure on 100Mb + files linux-linux or linux-windows.  At work (100Mbps
switched) the same procedure nets 2-4 Mbps depending on machines
involved - appears that the processors may not be able to stuff data to
the network fast enough.  Bing shows the work bandwidth being between 85
and 95 Mhz depending on traffic - basicly you need to use the same tools
to make sence of any sort of transfer figures.  Note that when bing
showed a normal 85-100Mbps bandwidth, one machine had a random 17khz ftp
rate - waiting for the results when all the driver modules are updated
as this is randomly occuring with some of the Dell machines with builtin
3com cards (runnning RH 6.2).  Ive never seen any sort of network
benchmarks that you can look up your hardware and see what the
theoretical figures should be - too many variables I think.

BillK