[plug] Ideas, anyone

John Breen wombat at wa.apana.org.au
Wed Apr 11 12:07:30 WST 2001

Couple of questions:

1)  I just moved the mobo out of a defunct windows machine (seems there's
problems w. the power switch?)  into my Linux box so that my nice K62/500
can run a REAL OS.  Now, when I go to wvdialconf, Linux says "found 2 serial
ports" followed by "there's something on ttyS1" followed by "but it ain't a
modem!".  The first 2 bits are right, the lsat is dead wrong - I have an
external modem on ttyS1.  Funny thing is, Linux finds and goes with my
internal 33k6 on ttyS3 which I wound up putting in because of the external
hassles.  Anyway, the question I have is, has anyone else run into this
issue?  If so, how did you fix them?

Before anyone asks, yes the plugs are on the mobo, yes they're the right way
round, and yes, the BIOS says the ports are there and they're on standard
I/O Address/IRQ.  The mobo is a Epox MVP3C2 (Via Apollo c/s)...

2)  The main reason for moving the mobo was vmWare.  Having got vmWare
running, it said it wanted a 2.2.17 or later kernel.  I tried 2.2.17, but it
died on a compile, so I wound up getting the full sources for 2.2.19 and
going with that.  Now when I start vmWare, it won't read the floppy in my
virtual machine, which effectively means I can't start windows.  Any
suggestions as to how it might be fixed?

Regards,

John Breen

+------