[plug] Ideas, anyone

Ryan ryan at slowest.net
Tue Apr 10 18:36:20 WST 2001

>2)  The main reason for moving the mobo was vmWare.  Having got vmWare
>running, it said it wanted a 2.2.17 or later kernel.  I tried 2.2.17, but it
>died on a compile, so I wound up getting the full sources for 2.2.19 and
>going with that.  Now when I start vmWare, it won't read the floppy in my
>virtual machine, which effectively means I can't start windows.  Any
>suggestions as to how it might be fixed?

More info please ...

- Is the floppy0 -> /dev/fd0 always showing as connected in VMWare?
- Is the 'VMWare Tools Install...' mode stuck on? (it sometimes turns
itself on)
- Is the floppy drive enabled in the Virtual Machine's BIOS?
- I'm assuming the floppy drive works in Linux and the current X user has
access to it? :) (VMWare should warn you if it isn't)
- What happens when you try to read a disk, no activity, some activity, a
puff of smoke?

2.2.17, 2.2.19 and 2.4.3 work perfectly for mine once you let it compile
its own modules.

Ryan