[plug] OT: 10/100 hubs

Kevin Shackleton kevins at wn.com.au
Wed Apr 11 20:44:41 WST 2001

Travis Read wrote:

> Ok, with the kingmax "switching hub" I can transfer a 650MB file in around
> 7min. Does that sound normal?
>
> Trav

That sounds fairly poor - 650 MB in 420 seconds is a tad over 1.5 MBps.
But I wonder if that's coming of a CDROM and that's limiting your speed?

No-one during this discussion has said anything about full and
half-duplex.  100Base-T can support full duplex so you get (potentially)
200 Mbps of data moving, with no collisions.  Of course in real life
traffic is fairly one-directional.  But I wonder (without having a
10/100 card installed in my machine), if the average Linux punter knows
how to select full duplex when talking to other full-duplex-capable
hardware?

K.