[plug] Agenda VR3

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Thu Apr 12 17:03:38 WST 2001

On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 04:35:41PM +0800, Simon Scott wrote:

> 	Yes, I have used a Palm :) Theyre pretty good. Have you used a VR3?

No, as I said I based my figures on the review.

> 	You want a full-featured handheld thats fast and rock-solid, so go
> with Palm. I want a linux based PDA with heaps of room to develop, so I went
> Agenda. Even if I bought a Palm, Id still wanna sit down and learn PalmOS
> development.

I guess I just interpreted things from my point of view which is, if I
was going to spend $600 on something like that then I'd want it to be
something that was going to be genuinely useful to me and not just for
hack value.  I honestly think you're pretty lucky to have the luxury of
being able to spend the time and cash on something like this to hack
with!  Best of luck... :)

> 	I dont see why not. Do you expect hand-held tech to stand still?
> Will we all be using PalmOS and the same apps in 10 years? Even if the vr3
> goes nowhere, its still pushing the envelope, which is cool, and more than
> enough reason for it to exist. And besides, Linux is a cool embedded OS. It
> has already proven to be so with the Tivo et al. It just takes time to scale
> it down.

Of course it won't stand still.  But it probably can't move as fast as
some people might think.  Palm makes incremental improvements to their
OS without trying to push the envelope too hard.  Pushing the envelope
hard means pushing the hardware to its limits which means poor
performance.  The last thing you want on a handheld is poor performance.
On the desktop people will tolerate waiting 5-10 seconds for an app to
load.  On a handheld they expect it to be nearly instantaneous.

> 	Yes, it is a nifty hack, but I think it has virtue. Ill remember you
> said that when I telnet into my Agenda tonight :)

Why would you want to telnet *into* a handheld?  It's supposed to be
something that you take with you...  Telneting *from* a handheld is, on
the other hand, useful and Palm handhelds can do this.  (You may
actually be able to get a telnet server for Palms too... you can
definitely get a web server...)

--
DSA 0x0EC1D28C: BBCB 0D79 4EBB 078A A066  7267 8BED E9D6 0EC1 D28C