[plug] Agenda VR3

Simon Scott simon.scott at flexiplan.com
Wed Apr 18 08:56:28 WST 2001

OK, Ive upgraded the software.... so here's the rub

It is *much* quicker. Useful as an actual PDA now. Multiple apps still a
little slow but its early days yet

It retains the time :)

The new root disk contains some more games (card games mostly, very
playable), and the applications are a little nicer.... as I said, I can now
use it as a normal PDA

Hand writing recog isnt too bad, not far from graffitti, but it continues to
be a little difficult to use sometimes as it seems to want to interpret some
strokes as mouse movements. Some of the letters/symbols are a little hard to
obtain, but you get used to it. The speed of the HWR is good now, I wouldnt
expect it to be much faster, but supposedly they are still addressing HWR
speed as #1 priority. But overall it appears that I was a little premature
with HWR, and it just takes a little getting used to.

The reason you would want to telnet into the unit is to do maintenance and
also to use rsync to move files between the unit and workstation. Ive set up
some scripts so I can remotely edit a file, it will rsync, edit, then rsync
back. The unit has ash and bash, so obviously I use bash :) There are
already syncing apps appearing between the vr3 and assorted desktop apps.

I dont really see the point of apache on pdas myself, but I suppose it falls
into the realm of 'a cool hack'. Along the same lines as the ftpd and nfsd
on the vr3... a little pointless really.

I havent added any software yet beyond 2 mods (Jogeir rocks! :) and mikmod.
The sound output is a little crusty (mono 10 bit) and it buzzes if you put
the pen on the pad! Ill look around and see if this problem is being
addressed, but more than likely its a hardware/shielding problem so I might
be stuck with it...

BTW, did anyone see that the new Compaq units are out? $650US ! But it has
lots o' grunt (I spose it would have to to be able to run wince)

Oh, ive managed to crash the unit twice since Ive had it. Hopefully the
stability will improve as the one device I would expect never to crash is a
PDA.

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com