[plug] telnet access in Red Hat 6.1

Dennis Plester dennisp at tiwest.com.au
Wed Apr 18 14:27:51 WST 2001

Paul wrote:

"A quick suggestion, have you got portmap running? If so did you edit
/etc/hosts.allow or /etc/hosts.deny and put something in there?
Telnet runs off the tcp.d, which relys on these files."

Simon wrote:
"Is it portmap or inetd which uses hosts.allow and hosts.deny??????
I guess the question we all shouldve asked but havent is
What did you change between it working and it not working????"

I will check for portmap running, and /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny
for changes. I did not make any changes to these files between it working,
and not working. It has run for a week, without a reboot, connecting and
disconnecting when requested via telnet, as the gateway PC has no keyboard
or monitor. When I went to telnet into it and connect last night, and it
would not let me bring up a login prompt. I have since rebooted it, same
thing. If I plug a keyboard and monitor in, I can log in, establish the
connection, and everything is fine. All this time, the PC will still ping
the others, and they can ping it.

I know it hasn't been fiddled with from within my house, as I have been the
only one there during the time between it allowing telnet access, and then
not allowing telnet access.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Dennis.