[plug] The same old argument RH vs. Whatever

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Thu Apr 19 09:20:27 WST 2001

On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, bp wrote:

> I want to migrate my Freesco box which runs a small web server and named
> and acts as a router over to a RH or Mandrake or Debian linux machine.

<snip>

> I just wanna get a feel for what people are having success with and
> enjoying linux.

<open (EMAIL, "can of worms) && warn "Flame suit donned\n";>

Personally I don't think it makes that much difference.  I use Debian at home
and am very happy with it.  As Peter pointed out apt-get (and friends) are
great.

At work I use RedHat 6.1 (with all the updates applied).
My personal gateway is RedHat.  It runs, pppd, bind, sendmail,ipchains and
ssh.  It is a p100 with 24Mb RAM.  It runs headless and has no problems.
I download the updates to my workstation (Debian) and update them over NFS.

The only reason I picked RedHat for my gateway was because I knew how to do an
NFS install for RedHat and I only had a couple of hours to get it built.

I would guess from experience that Debian is better for a gateway as it
installs less by default.  what it does install is "better" configured, and
you have more options for Debian.  You can use postfix to replace sendmail
(which requires less resources and is programmed with security in mind)

Having said all that I hear Leon say good things about Mandrake and in
particular the "Paranoid" option.
<close>

Yours Tony.

/*