[plug] Help with Linux Server

Peter Wright pete at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Thu Apr 19 13:37:56 WST 2001

Hi Adam - your answer intrigued me, I just wanted to clarify a couple of
points...

On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 12:40:51PM +0800, Adam Ashley wrote:
> On 19 Apr 2001 11:18:55 +0800, Simon Scott wrote:
> > AFAIK, setting up mail with a service that is dynamic IP can be a bit
> > fiddly. Hopefully someone on list will have more experience with it
[ ... ]
> Its quite easy actually, using one of those free dynamic hostname
> services that provide MX records.

Can you provide an example of such a service? I'm not sure I understand
what you mean.

> Set your internal network up with that set your gateway up to respond to
> external requests from that,

I guess this is related to the above - how would the service mentioned know
about your frequent (ie. every time you dial in) change of IP (and thus be
able to forward mail to you)? Unless this is a service provided by your ISP?

> tell sendmail that its delivering for that and it works fine. I use it at
> home. Works well and when you go perm, most of those free site will let
> you set up a perm ip, so there is no change over config.

I'll take your word for it, since it sounds like you've done it. :)

> Adam

Pete.
--
http://cygnus.uwa.edu.au/~pete/

105. When someone asks you for your address, you tell them your URL.