[plug] Help with Linux Server

Adam Ashley adam_ashley at softhome.net
Thu Apr 19 14:09:00 WST 2001

Answers through out

On 19 Apr 2001 13:37:56 +0800, Peter Wright wrote:
> Hi Adam - your answer intrigued me, I just wanted to clarify a couple of
> points...
>
> On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 12:40:51PM +0800, Adam Ashley wrote:
> > On 19 Apr 2001 11:18:55 +0800, Simon Scott wrote:
> > > AFAIK, setting up mail with a service that is dynamic IP can be a bit
> > > fiddly. Hopefully someone on list will have more experience with it
> [ ... ]
> > Its quite easy actually, using one of those free dynamic hostname
> > services that provide MX records.
>
> Can you provide an example of such a service? I'm not sure I understand
> what you mean.

I use www.yi.org unfortunatly they are not taking new accounts atm.
Others I know off are
www.dyndns.org
www.dhs.org (run by a group of aussies)

also check search for 'free dynamic host name' should find some

> > Set your internal network up with that set your gateway up to respond to
> > external requests from that,
>
> I guess this is related to the above - how would the service mentioned know
> about your frequent (ie. every time you dial in) change of IP (and thus be
> able to forward mail to you)? Unless this is a service provided by your ISP?

The systems are set up in such a way as to handle freqent updates, and
these site provide you with a page (at the least many have windows and
nix client programs) to enter your new ip address into. I use a hacked
together bash script to yank the ip from /sbin/ifconfig then use lynx to
pass that to the yi.org update script.

> > tell sendmail that its delivering for that and it works fine. I use it at
> > home. Works well and when you go perm, most of those free site will let
> > you set up a perm ip, so there is no change over config.
>
> I'll take your word for it, since it sounds like you've done it. :)
>
> > Adam
>
> Pete.
> --
> http://cygnus.uwa.edu.au/~pete/

And yes i have done it, my main email address is adam at ashley.yi.org but
its only up some of the time (well a lot more then my isp prob
appreciates but anyway) so i use a free pop account and get fetchmail to
pull it down into the local account.

Also setup an internal DNS server so each system has a fully qualified
domain name from internal, but external all those domains get caught by
the gateway.

Adam