[plug] More newbie questions: the return of boxie

Ari Finander spodosaurus at start.com.au
Sat Apr 21 17:02:11 WST 2001

Hey again everyone,

	Boxie is back online!  I upgraded rpm's according to the RH security
pages, and then nothing would work when I tried to dial in!  wvdial
would connect, as would kppp, but then nothing.  I think I solved the
problem by saving the /etc/resolv.conf file that was created as a temp
file by kppp, whereas when I was offline /etc/resolv.conf showed up in
the file manager, but registered as zero bytes and could not be found
when I tried to edit it as root.  Anyone know why saving the file
while connected to my isp worked, even when the file appeared to be
there anyways while connected?  I couldn't resolve DNS even when
connected before I saved this temp file as root.  anyone know why
upgrading the rpms would cause this?  The only new upgrades I did were
for the kernel to the next version (which I had to change in lilo I
finally figured out hehe) and glibc2, both using the i686 files
(instead of the i386) because that's what my comp identified the linux
install as being for.
	What's the difference between the i386, i686, and i586 I sometimes
see on the upgrade and download lists?  Is the i386 download for any
intel chip, the i586 for original pentiums, and i686 for celerons and
pentium II/III/IV?  What do you use if you have an AMD chip such as a
Duron or Athlon?
	How do I go about letting regular users execute kppp?  I tried chmod
+s /usr/sbin/kppp without success.  Along these same lines, what is
happening when I execute kppp as a user and it comes up with the
message that it can't find a usable ppp0 (it does this when I launch
from a terminal window, before the request for the superuser password
comes up in the GUI)?
	I've been reading and trying to understand what SUID, SGID, and
Sticky are, but I'm having trouble understanding.  Can anyone help
explain these things to me?
	Finally, although all users can access the windows98se partition on
my HDD, they cannot save files there or replace files there.  How can
I make it so that all users have permissions to read/write/execute
files from there, as I'm making my windows partition my doanload area
as I download for both OSes from both OSes?

TIA,

Ari