[plug] the west

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sat Apr 21 21:32:53 WST 2001

On Sat, Apr 21, 2001 at 09:02:48PM +0800, Grant Malcolm wrote:
[...]
> The inclusion of video editing is anything but ordinary on win (and linux)
> at present. Only six months ago i had to order an ieee1394 card from
> interstate as none of the usual local sources stocked them. That hardly
> would lead you to believe that many people are doing video editing on
> their win pc's.

Well, they're definitely coming down - USD$29 for a three port card:
http://www.ibuypower.com/parts/ieee1394.htm

> But DV editing is pretty mainstream-ish for Mac users, so i can't imagine
> but that the demand isn't going to sky-rocket for other platforms as
> ieee1394 enabled video cameras become the home video camera of choice.

I think so. Definitely on my list of toys to buy. ::-) Actually - hot
swappable hardware in general - anyone know if you can get a firewire
hard disc case any cheaper than the cost of a decent new drive to go in
it? ::-)

Unfortunately, I didn't write this in time for the article (hmmm, must
track down a copy of the paper), but Linux is definitely not bereft of
software in this area.

MainActor is commercial video editing software for Linux and Windows:
http://www.mainconcept.com/

Denis Brown mentioned the Quicktime link, but the rest of:
http://heroines.sourceforge.net/
is right on target.

There's a MPEG/Quicktime/DVD player (XMovie), non-linear video editing
software (Broadcast 2000 and Cinelerra) and a number of libraries and
utilities for playing, encoding, and manipulating multimedia. Encoding
is important - players abound, but you have to read a lot of fine print
about a lot of programs to realise how few choices there are of quality
MPEG-2 video encoders.

Realtime recording and compression: http://mjpeg.sourceforge.net/

Nick.

--
  Nick Bannon  | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick at it.net.au | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal