[plug] MS Curriculum at schools and TAFEs ...

The Thought Assassin assassin at live.wasp.net.au
Mon Apr 23 12:25:10 WST 2001

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, John Breen wrote:
> And if they didn't get degrees, they wouldn't go to university.  And then
> the universities would cease to be economically viable in the main.  Then we
> would wind up with one really good one instead of five mediocre ones with
> each having some really good lecturers.

I actually got quite a bit out of some of the UWA computer science
courses, but the path of the righteous man (me, for the purposes of
argument :) was beset on all sides by the encroachment of
vocationally-oriented teaching - make sure they get a good job as soon as
they graduate, since noone will blame us when they lack the theoretical
background to adapt to new technologies in 15 years time.

> > If the students dont want to learn, send them home. All they do is
> > devalue the degree, and waste my time.
> I agree.  In the main, the students should be made to learn for themselves
> anyway.  A long time ago, there used to be courses run for students coming
> out of high schools etc, into uni. which taught them _how_ to learn.  Those
> courses should be taught earlier.

Presumably you mean in high school at the very latest?
Or better still, as an ongoing process.

-Greg Mildenhall