[plug] MS Curriculum at schools and TAFEs ...

Peter Wright pete at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Mon Apr 23 13:26:33 WST 2001

On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 12:19:32PM +0800, The Thought Assassin wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, Simon Scott wrote:
[ snippety ]
> > They are still claiming that 'Java is the next big thing' and have been
> > for 8 years. I still dont see it.
> I do. From where I am standing (as a once and future commercial
> programmer) it is the current big thing.

Out of interest, what languages does UWA "teach" besides Java these days?
 From Ari's post, sounds like they still do Gofer in first year, but then
Java alone from then on. I spoke to a friend of mine who graduated from UWA
computer science last year and she made a comment to the effect that Java
is God and... "if you want to know C/C++, you have to teach it to yourself."

> The question is whether that is because the hype was right, or because
> the hype was convincing. My opinion is that we so desperately needed to
> get rid of the horrors of C++

Ooooh, can we have a language war now? *bounces* Can we canwecanwe???

:)

> that the first half-way decent replacement that garnered enough hype was
> destined to become the next big language.

I think we need to hype Python a bit more then. :)

> -Greg Mildenhall

Pete.
--
http://cygnus.uwa.edu.au/~pete/

124. You begin conversations with, "Who is your internet service provider?"