[plug] MS Curriculum at schools and TAFEs ...

James Andrewartha trs80 at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Apr 23 14:13:34 WST 2001

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, Peter Wright wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 12:19:32PM +0800, The Thought Assassin wrote:
> > On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, Simon Scott wrote:
> [ snippety ]
> > > They are still claiming that 'Java is the next big thing' and have been
> > > for 8 years. I still dont see it.
> > I do. From where I am standing (as a once and future commercial
> > programmer) it is the current big thing.
>
> Out of interest, what languages does UWA "teach" besides Java these days?
>  From Ari's post, sounds like they still do Gofer in first year, but then
> Java alone from then on. I spoke to a friend of mine who graduated from UWA
> computer science last year and she made a comment to the effect that Java
> is God and... "if you want to know C/C++, you have to teach it to yourself."

UWA CS has been Java for quite a few years now. EEE used to be C, and
still is in later years (but this is being phased out), but since last
year all programming courses are done by CS, it's Java all the way (nb
engineers don't do haskell).

Engineers also do funky things like 68HC11 asm, and VHDL, but they're not
really general purpose languages.

> > that the first half-way decent replacement that garnered enough hype was
> > destined to become the next big language.
>
> I think we need to hype Python a bit more then. :)

People have big objections to python's whitespace syntax. The standard
argument against that is "so do makefiles" but I think we need a better
argument than that.

--
"There's nobody getting rich  |  TRS-80                UCC Treasurer
 writing software that I      |  Email:    trs80(a)ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au