[plug] MS Curriculum at schools and TAFEs ...

Simon Scott simon.scott at flexiplan.com
Mon Apr 23 13:32:56 WST 2001

	I believe that no single language is 'the next big thing' or 'the
current big thing', and it is dangerous to claim that some language is. It
leads to people writing programs in languages that arent suited to the task,
just because they already know it....

	Each language has strengths and weaknesses. Similarly, human beings
are all different and have strengths and weaknesses. Some people like the
versatility of PERL (for example), while others think that its 'versatility'
is actually a weakness (causing unreadable spaghetti code) and prefer
python. Others like C++, someone else might hate it and prefer C.

	Personally I know several languages, and for some reason I have
always found C difficult, and it has eluded me for years (something I am
only just starting to fix, by learning C and Xlib). Should I have given up
and coded Xlib via its LISP bindings? Ofcourse not, C is the language for
the job...

	No one language can claim to solve every problem. ADA was for years
described as the be-all and end-all of programming languages, and now it is
nothing more than a memory (unless you code PL/SQL :). You wouldnt write a
large scale financial system in C, and you wouldnt write a windowing system
in COBOL.  JAVA might be 'the current big thing', but thats only until it is
replace by next month's 'current big thing'

	Choose the language to suit the task, even if you have to learn it
from scratch, and you cant go wrong I reckon.