[plug] Printing problem (lprng/lpd config?)

Peter Wright pete at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Mon Apr 23 15:12:41 WST 2001

On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 02:13:31PM +0800, Mike Holland wrote:
> Peter,
> I havn't used lprng, but ...
> If a process hangs, I suggest running it under strace. As lpr/lpq are
> set-uid, you will need to do this as root.

Actually, neither lpr nor lpq are setuid (or setgid) on my system. Neither
is lpd (although it's run as root).

You may be thinking of one of the (many) older packages based on Berkeley
lpd.

> What are the last calls reported before it hangs? (please cut&paste to
> mail)

------------- strace output ---------------
rt_sigaction(SIGALRM, {SIG_IGN}, {SIG_IGN}, 8) = 0
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_UNBLOCK, [ALRM], [], 8) = 0
rt_sigaction(SIGALRM, {0x804e7e4, [], SA_INTERRUPT|0x4000000}, {SIG_IGN}, 8) = 0
alarm(6000)                             = 0
write(3, "\2funky\n", 7)                = 7
rt_sigaction(SIGALRM, {SIG_IGN}, {0x804e7e4, [], SA_INTERRUPT|0x4000000}, 8) = 0
alarm(0)                                = 6000
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_BLOCK, NULL, [], 8)  = 0
alarm(0)                                = 0
rt_sigaction(SIGALRM, {SIG_IGN}, {SIG_IGN}, 8) = 0
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_UNBLOCK, [ALRM], [], 8) = 0
rt_sigaction(SIGALRM, {0x804e7e4, [], SA_INTERRUPT|0x4000000}, {SIG_IGN}, 8) = 0
alarm(6000)                             = 0
read(3,
------------- strace output ---------------

It stops there - so it appears to just be waiting on a read.

I'd already thought it was some kind of network read problem from the
(posted earlier) debug output. I just don't have any notion how to approach
the problem.

There appears to be something rotten in the state of lpd.

>   The problem seems to be in communicating between lpr/lpq, and your
> lpdng, right? Nothing at all in the lpdng log files?? What are the last
> lines?

------------- extract from "man lpd" ----------------------------
OPTIONS
       -L logfile
            specifies  an  alternate  file to be used for logging
            error and debugging messages.  The syslog(8) facility
            is used to log critical messages as well.
------------- extract from "man lpd" ----------------------------

After a bit of effort translating the differences between the manpage and
the Debian package, I worked out that the default logfile should be
/var/spool/lpd/funky/log . Which is empty.

/var/log has nothing either. I checked in /var/log/syslog specifically,
there was nothing remotely related to lprng stuff in there. I have also
checked (using ls -lt to order by most recently modified) in /var/log
immediately after doing a print attempt as above, and nothing in /var/log
gets modified.

> Mike Holland  <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>

Thanks for trying anyway, Mike. The effort is appreciated. ;)

Pete.
--
http://cygnus.uwa.edu.au/~pete/