[plug] MS Curriculum at schools and TAFEs ...

Alex Polglaze apolglaze at book-keepingnetwork.com.au
Mon Apr 23 15:04:52 WST 2001

I have read this thread, more like the complete woven fabric, with much
interest.

I have run my computer business now for nearly 17 years, and I
discovered way back in 1987 that I was allergic to MS. I have always
used alternatives, and the day came to migrate to Linux. This was not a
happy time. Without Leon's help, I would probably still not have it
working properly.

This is the problem and it was highlighted by Peter's post about his
printer.

Linux may very well be able to do everything that you can imagine, but
if you haven't done a CS degree then you have no hope of running it.

As a businessman I can't afford to spend days and days trying to get
something working and if I don't push the envelope too far, I can get by
with second and third rate products that basically work straight out of
the box, sort of.

When Joe Average can pick a linux cd and install it and get the printer
working without too much hassle, then linux will have a chance of
becoming mainstream. Until then it will remain the province of "geeky,
nerdy" (NO OFFENCE) gurus who can make a machine do anything they like.

Don't get me wrong, I think linux is the way to go, but I am committed
to the cause, if I wasn't, then I too would have bailed out long ago.

As far as the schools go, you must remember that the kids they are
teaching generally know more about the computers than the teachers in
any case.

As far as Uni's go I can recall the days when AT&T or Bell or whoever
wrote UNIX initially gave it to the unis, then when the students
graduated and went into employment, they would say, "What's this, we
need UNIX". Another sale. MS is no different and in fact always seem to
follow UNIX anyway.

So instead of crying foul and accusing MS of underhand tactics, fight
the problem head on. Develop the necessary installation programs and
routines so that it becomes a real alternative that can be readily used
in the home and school.

Once people can legitimately compare the two we all know who the clear
winner will be.

Alex