[plug] MS Curriculum at schools and TAFEs ...

Sol Hanna sol at eftel.com.au
Mon Apr 23 15:05:19 WST 2001

Hi Pluggers,

I have been reading these posts with interest and wanted to add my $0.02
coming from a somewhat different angle. (I'm doing a Education & History
double major @ Mudrock).

1. M$ features heavily in secondary school, TAFE and Uni courses for a
variety of reasons including many, if not all of the above, but for
other reasons also. Most teachers and academics are not computer
literate (infact in high schools most students are at a higher level of
proficiency than teachers). This general ignorance is a fertile ground
for the Dark Side of the Source (ie:M$) to sow is thorny seeds. In the
case of administrators in schools (and possibly TAFEs and Unis), they
don't go the Open Source solution because they just don't know about it,
and hence they end up paying that taxation on stupidity that is
purchasing M$ products.

NOTE: Given the tight budgetary environment which public schools are
facing presently, an excellent opportunity (in my opinion) presents
itself regarding introducing Linux to the public school system in WA. To
this end I have been planning (when I get some time at the end of
semester to put together a proposal to the education minister Mr
Carpenter about the advantages of Linux. (I read about a month ago that
a state education department in Mexico, and another in China have
adopted Linux across the board.) This might sound futile but I consider
taking action a nice augmentation to complaining loudly and often.
If anyone comes across any pertinent information (preferably with
referenced facts based on research) regarding why Linux is a better
option for education departments please email it to me so I can refer to it.

2. Teachers/Educationists tend to be convergent thinkers and highly
resistant to change. Many on the list already seem to be intuitively
aware that schooling/education is stuck in a paradigm developed at the
beginning of the industrial era, blissfully unaware that that era has
come to an end. Leading intellectuals in education like Piaget and
Vygotsky made strident criticism of educational practices more than
fifty years ago (it's a damn shame that some of my lecturers and tutors
don't actually APPLY these principles in class), emphasizing the
importance of introducing such elements into curriculum as metacognitive
learning ("learning how to learn").
How does this relate to Linux? Well because by learning Linux one
actually learns principles related to the structure of software (I'm
sure most of you are familiar with what I mean here). By learning
Windoze one is learning virtually nothing - except the lazy, dependent
way of the corporate slave. Hence it is actually advantageous to learn
computer use in a Linux environment because one learns generic skills by
default.

There seems to be a few Murdoch crew on the list. I am interested in
ways of turning Murdoch to Linux and have some ideas. Perhaps it would
be worthwhile meeting to discuss, complain, abuse, joke, etc ideas and
the possibility of starting a MurLUG or a Murdoch Chapter of PLUG?
Any takers?

Sol

PS: I think you guys were a little soft on Nick Miller's article. As an
ignorant newbie I don't need to point out that the actual Linux
operating system is superior to the Windoze OS (more stable, better
security, blah blah blah). Mr Miller's criticism of Linux as I saw it
was based on the lack of applications for Linux thus confusing the
operating system with applications. From what little I know about the
whole OS war, etcetera, it seems that Linux has got Windoze surrounded
on most flanks insofar as it is technically superior. All that stands
between Linux and popular acceptance is (a) having more commercial
applications being ported to Linux  (b) people seeing through the M$
propaganda campaign (of which Corporate Tool Nick Miller is a part).
Am I going too far?