[plug] MS Curriculum at schools and TAFEs ...

The Thought Assassin assassin at live.wasp.net.au
Mon Apr 23 14:07:26 WST 2001

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, Ari Finander wrote:
> UWA seems to be alternating OSes by semester:
> 1st year 1st semester: Mac (Haskell like programming language class)
> 1st year 2nd semester: Windows NT (Java programming)
> 2nd year 1st semester: Linux (Red Hat 7 I think?) (OOP with Java)

That's true of the core courses. There are also other courses in each
semester using different OSes. (though I'm pretty sure all courses use one
of those three these days.)

For many courses, one can use Linux or NT. Why? Because of a conscious
effort to standardize on open technology and software. That is one of the
things that led me to post positively about my experience as a UWA CS
undergrad. There seems to be a level of appreciation that students will be
best served by learning the fundamental truths of the discipline, not the
gory details of any particular platform, application or technology.

-Greg Mildenhall