[plug] Slow Serial Port

Peter Wright pete at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Tue Apr 24 00:12:56 WST 2001

On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 11:17:17PM +0800, Robert Andrews wrote:
> Thanks Pete I will check irqtune I have just about read all there is to read

You have my sympathies. :)

> This is a Linux only machine so unless I install windows on it I cant
> test in that enviroment

As a quick alternative testing option - have you got an old DOS bootdisk
floating around somewhere? Stick a copy of Telix on that, boot the machine
from the floppy, hook a modem on the "dodgy" port and try dialing or
otherwise connecting to something - then try a z-modem transfer of a large
file and see if the same problem occurs.

Though I agree with the below, it sounds much more like a software problem
if the same thing occurs on two completely different motherboards.

> Im sure its a software problem as I said i have change motherboards and
> cpu its now a K6-230

Hrm, you certainly shouldn't _need_ to be buggering around with irqtune for
a CPU that powerful. Although I guess it's still worth testing.

Sounds like a bugger of a problem though. I'm glad it's not my problem :).

Let us know if you manage to get anywhere with it.

Pete.
--
http://cygnus.uwa.edu.au/~pete/

144. You eagerly await the update of the "Cool Site of the Day."